INDIANAPOLIS — Hoosiers are invited to attend one or more of a series of public meetings across the state to provide feedback on Indiana's redistricting process.
The meetings will be Aug. 6-7 and Aug. 11.
Indiana is required to redraw its districts for the U.S. House of Representatives, the Indiana House of Representatives and Indiana Senate following the nationwide census every 10 years. Before legislators are expected to return to the Statehouse in mid-to-late September to redraw the district boundaries, public meetings will be held in each of Indiana's nine congressional districts.
The meetings will be grouped into geographic areas, including north, south and central.
The northern group meetings will be Aug. 6 in Lafayette and Valparaiso, and Aug. 7 in Fort Wayne and Elkhart.
The southern group will host meetings Aug. 6 in Anderson and Columbus, and Aug. 7 in Evansville and Sellersburg.
The central meeting will be Aug. 11 in Indianapolis.
State Rep. Tim Wesco (R-Osceola), chair of the House Committee on Elections and Apportionment, will chair the redistricting meetings in the north, and State Sen. Jon Ford (R-Terre Haute), chair of the Senate Committee on Elections, will chair the meetings in the south. Wesco and Ford are expected to co-chair the central Indiana meeting.
"We look forward to hosting these important meetings across the state to hear directly from the public on Indiana's redistricting process," Wesco said. "Hoosiers can be confident that we'll continue to meet all of our statutory and constitutional requirements."
"Public input on redistricting is extremely important to the map-drawing process," Ford said. "We look forward to hearing from Hoosiers from all over Indiana during these meetings."
Below is the complete schedule of public meetings regarding redistricting:
- Lafayette — 10 a.m. to noon EDT Friday, Aug. 6, Ivy Tech campus.
- Valparaiso — 3-5 p.m. CDT Friday, Aug. 6, Ivy Tech campus.
- Fort Wayne — 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Aug. 7, Ivy Tech campus.
- Elkhart — 4-6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7, Ivy Tech campus.
- Anderson — 10 a.m. to noon Friday, Aug. 6, Ivy Tech campus.
- Columbus — 4-6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 6, Ivy Tech campus.
- Evansville — 9-11 a.m. CDT Saturday, Aug. 7, Ivy Tech campus.
- Sellersburg — 4-6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7, Ivy Tech campus.
- Indianapolis — 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 11 in the House Chamber at the Indiana Statehouse
Census data is delayed due to the pandemic, but is expected to arrive Aug. 16. Wesco and Ford said an online portal with mapping software will be launched in late August that will allow the public to draw and submit their own maps for consideration.