DELPHI — The Indiana State Police on Wednesday clarified why there is a vast difference between two composite sketches of the Delphi homicide suspect wanted in connection with the February 2017 killings of two teens.
The initial sketch — released a couple of months after the bodies of the two teen girls, Liberty German, 14, and Abigail Williams, 13, were found in a wooded area off the Monon High Bridge Trail — depicted an older man between the ages of 40 and 50 years old.
The new composite sketch, released Monday during a press conference in which investigators took no questions, shows a much younger male between the ages of 20 to late 30s.
According to the FBI’s website, the suspect is believed to be between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-10, weighs between 180 to 200 pounds, and has reddish-brown hair.
In a press release issued Wednesday afternoon, Sgt. Kim Riley, public information officer with the Indiana State Police’s Lafayette District, stated that the investigation has “matured” and past information “has been reassessed.”
“It is the belief of investigators with the Multi-Agency Task Force that the person depicted in the sketch released April 22 more accurately represents the person wanted for the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German,” he stated.
Riley added that Delphi residents should reflect back on people they know in the community that look similar to the new sketch released Monday, “especially if that person has changed their appearance since the murders occurred in February of 2017.”
Riley said it is important to distinguish the following points about the two sketches:
- They are not the same person.
- The person depicted in the originally released sketch is not presently a person of interest in the investigation.
- The sketch released April 22 is representative of the face of the person captured in the video on German’s cell phone as he was walking on the Monon High Bridge.
- The person in the sketch released April 22 is described as having a youthful appearance, but could fall in the age range from his 20s to late 30s.
- The person’s appearance could look different today if he has grown a mustache, beard or allowed his hair grow longer — or cut it shorter — than depicted in the sketch.
People with information should call the Tip Line is (844) 459-5786. Tips are also accepted by the Indiana State Police at (800) 382-7537, or by the Carroll County Sheriff’s Department at (765) 564-2413.
People can also email investigators at email@example.com. Information sent by email is kept confidential and is only shared with investigators.