(Make sure to call ahead to see if events are postponed or canceled.)
SATURDAY, JANUARY 16
• PORK CHOP DINNER: The Knights of Columbus in Rensselaer will hold a pork chip dinner to benefit the Safe Haven Baby Box at Franciscan Hospital on Saturday, Jan. 16 at the K of C Hall. Pre-sale tickets are being solid for this event, so get yours ahead of time. Food will be served from 5-7 p.m. You can dine in or carry-out. Call 866-9938.
MONDAY, JANUARY 18
• REDEVELOPMENT BOARD: The Remington Redevelopment Board will meet virtually via the Zoom platform on Monday, Jan. 18 at 6 p.m., EST. Contact the town manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for a link to the meeting.
TUESDAY, JANUARY 19
• BOARD OF FINANCE: The Jasper County Board of Finance will be meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 19 in the meeting room of the old Jasper County Youth Center at 910 S. Sparling Avenue. The meeting will be held at 8:15 a.m., CST, to organize the board, review the 2020 Investment Report and amend and adopt the 2021 Investment Policy.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 29
• BLOOD DRIVE: A Red Cross blood drive will be held at Remington’s Apostolic Church Fellowship Hall on Friday, Jan. 29 from 1-6 p.m. The church hall is located at 16448 S. US 231 in Remington. For more information, call (219) 261-2866.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 31
• AYCE BREAKFAST: The Knights of Columbus in Rensselaer will hold an all-you-can-eat breakfast on Sunday, Jan. 31 at either the K of C Hall or in the basement at Saint Augustine Church to celebrate Catholic Schools Week. (An update will be provided later.) Food will be served from 8-11:30 a.m. You can dine in or carry-out. Call 866-9938.
• JCPL APPOINTMENTS: Jasper County Public Library is now offering appointments outside of its normal public hours for high risk and vulnerable individuals. This is done by appointment only. Normal business hours for all three branches are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. High risk and vulnerable individuals are considered those 65 and over, and those who have underlying medical conditions. Curbside service is still available at all locations. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact your local library: Rensselaer Library (219) 866-5881, DeMotte Library (219) 987-2221, Wheatfield Library (219) 956-3774.
• 4-H ENROLLMENT: Jasper County 4-H enrollment opens back up in October of 2020. To enroll, utilize the updated 4-HOnline 2.0 system. Detailed instructions will be sent to families as the opening date approaches.
• FOOD PANTRY HOURS: The Good Samaritan Food Pantry in Rensselaer is open Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Thursdays from 1-3 p.m. and the third Saturday of the month from 8-10 a.m. The pantry is located at 130 S. Van Rensselaer St. and clients are currently being served at their vehicles in front of the pantry.
• MEALS-ON-WHEELS: Meals-On-Wheels low-cost home-delivered meals are now available in Jasper and Newton counties. For more information or to order meal delivery, call (219) 756-3663 or on the web at mownwi.org.
• LEPC MEETING DATES: The Local Emergency Planning Commission (LEPC) has released its 2021 schedule. The first meeting of the new year will be held Feb. 11 from 12-1 p.m., CST, via the Zoom platform. Access information will be available on the Jasper County website as meeting dates draw near. Other dates to remember include April 8 from 12-1 p.m., CST, via Zoom … June 10 with a Tabletop Exercise with time and location to be announced (depends on COVID situation) … Aug. 12 with time and location to TBD … Oct. 14 with time and location TBD and Dec. 9 with time and location TBD.
• NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS: The Narcotics Anonymous Support Group will meet on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. at the Nazarene Church Fellowship Hall in Rensselaer. This is a closed meeting. The time is now to listen and share your experiences, strengths and hopes. The group helps people with life’s problems and additions one day at a time.
• BIRTHRIGHT OF RENSSELAER: Birthright of Rensselaer is open at normal capacity at 331 S. College Avenue. The hours are 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Curbside service is still available. For more information, call 866-4555.
• 500 CLUB ENROLLMENT: The Rensselaer 500 Club, Rensselaer’s only Athletic Booster Club, is holding a membership drive. The cost is $60 per year and semi-annual cash drawings are held for cash prizes of $500. Your membership helps support Rensselaer high school and middle school teams, St. Augustine teams, RBI Baseball, SJC Youth Soccer League, Youth Basketball, Summer Swim Team, Pop Warner and more. The club benefits all Rensselaer athletes ages 3-18. For more information or to sign up, go to email@example.com. Also visit the club’s Facebook page.