Business name: Watseka Sign
Address: 2175 N. State Rt. 1 Watseka
Phone number: 815-432-2626
Owner: Carol Kaufmann
Opening date: 1991
1. What does this business do?
Custom signs and vehicles
2. What was the reason for starting this business?
Love the art of signs and designs
3. What is the best thing about being located in Iroquois County?
Each project is different.
4. What is the biggest challenge?
Low or no budget for quality signs.
5. When is your busiest time of the year?
Spring through fall
6. What is the most popular thing you sell/service you provide?
Custom “Welcome To” signs for cities and towns
7. What is a less popular thing/service you would recommend?
8. What is the thing you most like to do as part of your business?
Pictorials on signs, design work
9. What is the best thing about owning your own business?
Following my belief of a quality product or giving a project 110%
10. What is the biggest downside?
My slow time which is winter.
11. What is the biggest misconception about your business?
That anyone can do a sign. It takes more than a computer and a vinyl cutter.
12. How would you describe your business philosophy?
Provide a quality custom sign at a reasonable price
13. When it comes time to retire is there a family member who will be taking over for you?
14. How has your business changed over the years?
I’m doing more dimensional signs and 3M laminated digital prints.
15. What advice would you give someone thinking about starting a business?
Learn from a true craftsman and go to college for graphic arts.