The Little Lorraine feature “Dumbo” this weekend. Showtimes are: 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday.
Starting June 3, the Feed My Lambs Summer Lunch Program will be providing lunches for Hoopeston Area students, pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, who have qualified for free or reduced lunches during the school year. Participants are asked to bring proof of age for each student (i.e. school report card, birth certificate) for registration prior to receiving their first lunch. Lunches will be served from 11 a.m.-noon Monday through Friday at the Hoopeston First United Methodist Church, located at 403 E. Main St. in Hoopeston. Lunches can be picked up and taken or enjoyed in the church’s air-conditioned Fellowship Hall. For more information, call 217-283-6738.
Mike Webb of the Okinawan School of Karate will be teaching a FREE 3-Week Little Ninjas Course at Hoopeston Public Library. Sessions will be held on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10-10:30 a.m., beginning July 9 and running through July 26. The course is free to new students who are ages 4-6 years old. Kids who graduate on Saturday, July 27 will receive a free “Train Like A Ninja” t-shirt. Pre-registration is required. Stop by or call the library at (217) 283-6711.
Hoopeston Public Library’s Summer Book Sale is continuing during regular hours at the library, 110 N. Fourth St., Hoopeston. Everything is $2 per bag or three bags for $5. Lots of fiction, non-fiction and VHS movies are still available. Adult, youth and children’s materials. For more information, call the library at 217-283-6711.
Effective immediately, Hoopeston will no longer provide a roll off container at the soccer fields for bulk garbage. Starting Saturday, July 20, Hoopeston will have a roll off in the parking spaces on Second Ave. east of the city hall parking lot. Residents may drop off bulk items from 6 a.m. to noon. Proof of residency will be required and items to be disposed of will be monitored. In future months, bulk disposal will be offered the first and third Saturdays of each month.
- 2 p.m. Showtime at the Museum at the Hoopeston Public Library. Education Program Specialist Sandy Osborne from the Museum of the Grand Prairie will highlight the natural and cultural history of east central Illinois. There will be hands-on activities and a take-home project for the kids.
- 6 p.m. The Hoopeston Public Library will feature a free movie night with a screening of “Rock Dog” Bring your own drinks in covered, non-breakable containers. Kids 10 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- The Chestnut Street Church of Christ Gospel Music Service will feature DJ Farley. Supper is at 5 p.m. with the sing-a-long at 5:45 p.m. and the service at 6 p.m. The church is located at 709 E. Chestnut St. in Hoopeston. Everyone is welcome.
- 7 p.m. Rossville Village Board of Trustees meeting
- 7 p.m. Hoopeston City Council meeting
- 5-7 p.m. The Grace Lutheran Church in Rankin will present an Ice Cream Social from 5-7 p.m. July 17. The social will feature: sandwiches, salads, pie, cake and homemade ice cream. A free will donation will be taken.
- 7 p.m. Hoopeston Area Board of Education meeting
- 6 p.m. Got talent? It’s showtime at the library. Library Idol will be presented at 6 p.m. July 22 at the Hoopeston Public Library. If you can sing, dance, juggle, play an instrument or whatever, you’re welcome to compete. There will be three categories for performers: kids 12 and under, teens 13-17 and adults 18 and up. No entry fee. Prizes in all age groups. Pick up an entry form at either the upstairs or Children’s Room main desk. Entries must be returned no later than July 19.
- 3 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. The Hoopeston Multi-Agency, 206 S. First Ave., will host a training course on how to administer Narcan, which is an opioid overdose reversal drug, at 3 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. July 24. The course is open to anyone and is free. For more information or to register, contact Beth or Angie at 217-283-5544.
- 7:30 p.m. Cissna Park will once again be hosting a Talent Show during Old Settlers. The talent show will be held Aug. 15 at 7:30 p.m. in the park. Individual and group entries will be taken in junior and senior divisions. The junior division is for ages 14 and under. The senior division is for ages 15-21. First, second, and third prizes will be awarded in each division. Please contact Lynn Hasselbring at email@example.com for entry forms or more information. Entry forms are due Aug. 2.
Hoopeston Public Library Schedule for June:
Stitchin’ Time will continue all summer at 6 p.m. Tuesdays and 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays
July 10: 10 a.m. On Stage (Ages 8-14)
July 11: 10 a.m. Reading Buddings (Preschool-Age 8); 11 a.m. Showtime (Age 5-10) and 2 p.m. Blast Off (Age 10-14)
July 17: 10 a.m. On Stage (Ages 8-14)
July 18: 10 a.m. Reading Buddings (Preschool-Age 8); 11 a.m. Showtime (Age 5-10) and 2 p.m. Blast Off (Age 10-14)